Friday 24 June 2016

penultimate day

It's all coming to an end far too quickly! I had hoped to say goodbye to Joyce in the morning but by the me I left to go snorkelling she wasn't awake which was a shame. The short term friendships you make when travelling are quite bizarre. I got a big breakfast (the drinks the night before were too strong) and then met my snorkelling group. We went to three different places to snorkel and it was amazing seeing all the different fish and turtles up really close!! I loved it.

We stopped on one of the other islands, Gili Air, for lunch. I sat on my own looking at the menu when a girl came over and asked if I would like to join her and her family. I sat down and learned that they were from Indonesia but on holiday here. We chatted and ate lunch and they even tried to pay for me but i insisted! We returned to the boat and went for our final snorkel together before heading back. I spoke to an English couple and guy on the boat and then agreed to go for a drink with them when we got back to gili t, with plans to meet the Indonesian family for dinner. Popular times! I spent the afternoon chatting to the girl, Devon, and it's so nice talking to people who have been to the same places as you and felt the same way!

I headed back around 5.30 to shower before the sunset but ended up getting completely lost and kissing it which was a shame, but hey, I've seen plenty while travelling so can't complain! Then I honestly had one of the best nights of travelling/my life. I wandered around, booked my airport transfer and then headed to where I'd arranged to meet the Indonesian family. We got dinner at the night market and they helped me choose the food (so useful knowing what you're eating) and I had a bowl of vegetables, rice and noodles and a delicious barbecued tuna kebab. The tables are communal and were very crowded so the parents moved onto a table nearby, while me, Gabbie and Gabriel sat on a table with some Australians and a couple of guys from new Zealand. They were all very loud but fun and sociable and we spent the next few hours discussing travel, different cultures and all kinds of stuff. Gabbie told us a lot about Indonesia and I didn't realise how unaware I was! Everyone was like minded and it was just so nice to have real meaningful conversation. I started to get very tired so at 10.30 ish I said good night, everyone was waving as I walked away it was so sweet. I







went to say goodbye to the parents and tried to pay for dinner but they refused and both hugged me goodbye. People are so selfless and lovely it's honestly changed my perspective of the world!! I walked back to my room feeling happy and tired, packed up by stuff and went to bed.

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)